How Much Can a Ford Explorer Tow?
For an SUV that can comfortably fit your entire family and tow heavy loads, you can’t go wrong with the 2020 Ford Explorer. How much can a Ford Explorer tow, exactly? Up to 5,600 pounds when properly equipped! Combine the Ford Explorer towing capacity with seating for seven people and plenty of space for cargo, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find another SUV with such utility. Plus, the new Explorer lineup boasts a hybrid powertrain setup, which provides Grand Junction drivers with access to strong fuel economy returns alongside hefty towing capabilities. Learn more with Columbine Ford!
Ford Explorer Towing Capacity by Engine
The 2020 Ford Explorer towing capacity depends on which of the three engine options you select. Which setup will accommodate your towing demands in the Craig area?
- 2.3L EcoBoost® 4-Cylinder: Tow up to 5,300 pounds with this engine under the hood of your Explorer, while also churning out 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque.
- 3.0L EcoBoost® V6: When powered by this engine, the Explorer tows up to 5,600 pounds. Output depends on which Explorer trim you go with – 365 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque on Platinum trims, or 400 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque on ST trims.
- 3.3L Hybrid: Efficiency is the priority for the Explorer Hybrid model, but Aspen drivers can still expect a tow rating of up to 5,000 pounds.
Ford Explorer Towing Features
Install the following features in order to maximize your 2020 Ford Explorer towing capacity and overall performance:
- Rear-wheel drive: New for the 2020 model year, rear-wheel drive boosts driving capabilities and towing capacity by 600 pounds from the previous model year.
- Class III Trailer Tow Package: Standard with the 3.0L EcoBoost® engine and optional with the 2.3L EcoBoost® and 3.3L Hybrid engines, this package is necessary for the Explorer to reach its fullest towing potential.
- Towing and Trailer Sway Control: Get guaranteed trailer control and stability with this system, which brakes selectively and adjusts engine power to keep the Explorer and trailer moving together seamlessly.
- Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™: Switch between Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes for ultimate control on or off Vail roads.
Test Drive the Ford Explorer at Columbine Ford!
Take the 2020 Ford Explorer for a test drive at Columbine Ford to get a feel for its performance! While you won’t be able to tow anything as you cruise around Rifle, you certainly will understand its power. Have any questions? Feel free to reach out, and a member of our sales team will gladly help you out!
More on Ford Models
For an SUV that can comfortably fit your entire family and tow heavy loads, you can’t go wrong with the 2020 Ford Explorer. How much can a Ford Explorer tow, exactly? Up to 5,600 pounds when properly equipped! Combine the Ford Explorer towing capacity with seating for seven people and plenty of space for cargo,…
Many Glenwood Springs drivers seek pure thrills on Rifle-area roads. These speedsters may be wondering: “How powerful is the Ford Mustang?” Every year, this classic muscle car provides more and more power, and with six available high-powered engines in the 2020 Ford Mustang lineup, drivers have plenty of options to customize performance to their specific desires….
If you need a hard-working pickup truck that can deliver the robust performance required for your Glenwood Springs job site, you’ll want to take a look at the 2020 Ford F-150. With impressive specs across all of the available F-150 configurations, and a best-in-class maximum towing capacity of 13,200 pounds, this truck is ready for anything you…